Tuesday, November 15, 2016
The Golden Turkey
Once, upon a time there was a golden turkey. Everyone in the town of Pittsburgh wanted one but there was only one golden turkey in the world and no one owned him. His name was Michael. He lived in the forest and over the years he made his own home. He painted his house like poison ivy because probably nobody would want to go near there. A bad holiday was coming up. It was Thanksgiving. Then, one day a guy came and tried to go through the poison ivy (AKA Michael’s house) and he couldn’t do it.Then, he noticed it was a house so, he went inside and saw Michael the Turkey. Michael didn’t see the guy. Then the guy said, “Come here turkey, come on!” Then, the turkey turned around and screamed.After that the turkey ran out of the house, and started to run. The guy followed him, “Run Turkey, Run!” Then he went to the village. Now the whole village was chasing him. Then the Mayor of the village said, “This turkey is very rare and we should all respect the Golden Turkey because there is only one in the world”. So from that day forth everyone respected and loved the turkey. So everyone lived happily ever after...The End.
Michael the Golden Turkey
By: Laura Lederer
Hello!! I will write articles for what to do in tough situations. ( By the way just because I might say he and she does not mean that this could not happen to you.)
- Question: You and your friend have been fighting and you want to stop fighting, but they keep being rude to you. You want to still be friends but you do not know how to tell her that without getting into a fight. What should you do?
Answer: Send him or her a note or text apologizing and ask if you can hang out sometime. You could also write an apology on a sticky note, and when he or she is busy in their locker, stick the note on the locker quickly before he or she sees.
2. Question: There is this this bully in your school and they have been picking on you. They tell you that if you tell on them, then they will make you sorry that you told the teacher anything. That makes you scared. Now you wonder, what do you do?
Answer: Don’t be scared. If you tell someone you will NOT regret it. Then if the person is still mean, call up the person's parents and tell them what happened. After that you will feel good because that person is not bullying anyone any more.
That’s all for today!!!!! If you want more help and or info go to: stopbullying.gov
The Peanuts Gang
By Laura Lederer and Gabi Heigel
Originally their comic strips started in the ‘40’s, then there first was a christmas special on tv in the ‘60’s. They were originally named: Li’l Folks when they were still comics, the creator sold the comic's to the United Features Syndicate but they did not like the name Li’l Folks so they changed it into the Peanuts.
Snoopy and Woodstock’s Relationship
If you've never seen Woodstock and snoopy's relationship in the movies or holiday specials, let me tell you about it. Woodstock and Snoopy they have got each other’s back when times are tough. They help each other out and sometimes, they could pull a prank on each other, but when they're not, they're in high flying action or right back home putting up with Charlie Brown. They also might be trying to defeat the Red Baron. But no matter the challenge they always win.
And that’s the history of the Peanuts Gang!
By Gabi Heigel
California is a very interesting state. I am going to tell you some facts about California that you probably didn’t know.
First, I will tell you about California’s flag. California’s flag has a bear on a patch of grass in the middle of the flag. There is also a red star in the top left corner. On the bottom is a red strip. Above the red strip it says, “California Republic”. The rest of the flag is a white backround. The flag was designed by William Todd.
Next, I will tell you about some California landmarks. You’ve probably heard of this one, Disneyland. Disneyland opened on July 17, 1955. Another landmark is, The San Diego Zoo. The San Diego Zoo has over 3,700 animals of more than 650 speices! This zoo opened in 1915. In this zoo, you will find giraffes, koalas, apes, and much more. Yosemite Falls is another landmark. Yosemite Falls is the tallest waterfall in Yosemite National Park. It is 2,425 feet tall. Have you heard of the Hollywood Walk of Fame? That’s another landmark in California. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a place that features over 2,500 stars. On each star, there is a name of someone famous. All of the stars take up 15 blocks. I think that this last landmark is the most popular. I am sure that most of you have heard of it. The last landmark is the Hollywood sign. The Hollywood sign is located in Los Angeles, CA. The sign overlooks Hollywood. The Hollywood sign represents all of Hollywood.
Now, I will tell you about the California state bird, the California Quail. The California Quail weighs about 6 ounces. The California Quail is a very social bird. They fly in small groups called “coveys”.
Next, I will tell you some facts about California’s state flower. California’s state flower is the California Poppy. This flower became California’s national flower in 1903.
Now, I am going to share some facts on California’s state animal. California’s state animal is the California grizzly bear. The California grizzly bear became California’s state animal in 1953.
I hope you learned some interesting facts on California!
Gabi’s Cooking Column
By Gabi Heigel
Hi, readers! I am new to the Bulldog Jr. and I have created this cooking column just for you! I will write recipes, restaurant reviews, and much more! I know you will enjoy reading this column just as much as I enjoy writing it. Enjoy!!
To start off my cooking column, I will write a basic recipe that is loved by all! Can you guess what it is? I’ll give you a hint: It’s a type of cookie. Do you know it know? I’ll tell you. It’s chocolate chip cookies! Here is the recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
- 2-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completly.
Yum! I love chocolate chip cookies. The fun thing about chocolate chip cookies, is you can make it a lot of different ways! Here are some ways you can change up this recipe:
- You can replace the chocolate chips with m&m’s. If you do this, you will create a delicious confetti cookie. It’s a fun cookie that you will definitely enjoy.
- You can replace the chocolate chips with chocolate chunks. This will create a wonderful chocolate chunk cookie. This cookie has extra chocolate! I am a huge chocolate fan.
- You can add white chocolate chips to make black and white chip cookies. It’s a terrific combination.
- Do you like Reese’s Pieces? I know I do. If you’d like, you can replace the chocolate chips with Reese’s Pieces.
- If you really love chocolate, you can add ⅓ cup cocoa powder to the recipe. This will make a double chocolate cookie. Yum!!
- Do you like ice cream sandwiches? If you want, you can take two of the cookies and put a scoop of ice cream in between them to form an ice cream sandwich.
Now, here is a fun fact:
Did you know that 80 percent of cocoa beans are grown in Africa? In case you didn’t know, cocoa beans are the first step to making chocolate. Here is a system of how Hershey chocolate is made:
- Cocoa beans grow in pods.
- People take down the pods from the trees. Then, the pods are cut open.
- The beans are left outside to dry under the hot sun.
- The beans are put in bags after drying. Then, the bags are shipped to Hershey.
- At Hershey, the beans will be roasted.
- The beans will then be crushed into liquid. The liquid is a thin paste called, chocolate liquor. The chocolate liquor is then pressed to separate cocoa butter from cocoa solids.
- Sugar and milk are mixed together. Then, any extra water will be taken out.
- The sugar and milk mix is combined with the cocoa butter. The mixture is then conched and tempered.
- The chocolate mixture is poured into the mold. (The mold is usually the shape of a regular chocolate bar)
- The chocolate freezes and hardens.
- The chocolate is wrapped up.
- Trucks ship the chocolate to the stores.
- The chocolate is bought, eaten, and enjoyed by many!
That’s all for my cooking column this week!
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Interview with Vice-Principal Amanda Steele
By Nicholas Isaacs
Here is my interview with our new Vice-Principal, Amanda Steele!
What do you hope to accomplish as Vice-Principal?
It is my hope to bring the students and staff of ITMMS even closer together through new programs, updates to the building, community events, and tons of positive communication!
What are some of the challenges of being a vice-principal?
One of the greatest challenges so far has been keeping up with a very busy schedule. As Assistant Principal, it's important to me that everyone feels valued and heard. Sometimes the day gets so busy and I worry I might not have been there for someone who needed me. It's a juggling act sometimes.
What are your favorite parts of being a vice-principal?
In this new position, I have the wonderful opportunity to visit classrooms of all grade levels and subject areas. I am learning so much from my visits. It's fantastic! Plus, whenever I feel as though I miss teaching, I visit a classroom and get to interact with students and teachers. It makes me really happy!
There's been a lot of changes in school so far. What changes can students expect coming up?
So many wonderful changes!!! You'll see soon enough!
What are your favorite events that happen at Island Trees Memorial Middle School?
Sports Night is one of my very favorites! I am competitive by nature so it's right up my alley! And next week at Sports Night 2016, you'll get to see me and the teachers in action competing in events! Exciting!
What kind of advice would you give to the students of Island Trees to have a good learning experience?
Be kind to yourself and to one another. Enjoy every moment, every class, every teacher. Life goes by quickly and before you know it, you'll be on your way to college with an awesome Island Trees education under your belt!
Friday, October 28, 2016
An Interview With Mrs. Bochner
By Jessica Defrancis
This kind-hearted, and helpful women decided to do something a bit out of ordinary from my previous interviews, she decided to be a teacher assistant. She did not need to go to college for this. She did go to New York University for advertising. She advertised for about 20 years. She is married with two boys. I believe they may be part of the reason she wanted to be a T.A., the main reason is she wanted to work with children. She has been helping teach for 12 years.