ITUFSD

ITUFSD

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Madison Tierney, NJHS President


Being the president of the National Junior Honor Society is a big honor and accomplishment, but I worked very hard to get to this position. When I was in 5th grade, I joined the Island Trees Drama Club, and arts and crafts club. In 6th grade, I continued in the drama club. 7th grade was a very stressful time. I was chosen to be Dorothy in the Island Trees Middle School production of The Wizard of Oz, and I had just started taking advanced classes. I also started playing soccer for the school team, and joined select choir which was before school. I was trying to keep up my grades, play my heart out on the field, sing all the time, and try to get the recommendations and the requirements for NJHS and Student Leaders. It was sometimes overwhelming but I knew the reward would be wonderful. To keep up my grades, I went to extra help and reviews before soccer or drama club. This really helped me thrive academically. The better I did academically, the less stressed I felt. I really liked how my teachers would explain anything to me, no matter how small the topic was. Being a part of each club has been an amazing way to meet new friends and created a deeper feeling of school pride. After sports or clubs, I would come home and start on homework and study. Studying may be boring for some people, but it really helped me on my tests! After that, I would hang out with my family and friends and go to sleep. Soon enough, it was the time of the year for recommendations for NJHS. I asked my club advisors and teachers and, thankfully, they recommended me! My hard work paid off. I was going to be a part of NJHS! I was very nervous at the ceremony, but it was actually really fun! I got to hang out with my friends and be inducted into this prestigious club. Now I am in 8th grade, and I have accomplished my goal of becoming a member of the NJHS and Student Leaders. I am still in drama, select choir, soccer, and I may try out for the basketball team. My advice to anyone in 5th, 6th, 7th, or even 8th grade that isn’t a member yet, but would like to be, is to do the best you can with everything! Even if you aren’t the athletic type, or you aren’t academically superior, you can do anything with hard work and determination! You should strive to be a NJHS member. Not only does it look good on your resume, it’s a lot of fun and it’s a great way to help out your community! We raised over $5,000 for the American Diabetes Association and I am looking forward to future events that will make a difference in people’s lives. Mrs. Nieves and Mrs. Harouche are amazing club advisors, and they will make sure you stay on track and strive for success!

                                                                             -Madison Tierney